Sunday, November 7, 2010

Joshua's Birthday, Take 2

Some of you may remember a little boy named Joshua who turned 1 last year and got a Teddy Bear Birthday with a Teddy Bear Cake.  Well, he turned 2 this weekend, and this time his parents threw him a Super Why party.    I was asked to make a Super Why cake similar to this one found on Cake Central:


Now, I wasn't sure what Super Why was, so I did a little research.  It's a PBS cartoon where a young boy named Whyatt and his friends, the Super Readers, go into books to solve problems.  He calls up his friends using his "Super Computer" (which looks like a PDA), and then they have story book adventures.  I wanted to keep the cake similar to the picture, but of course I had to have my own spin on it.  

First thing's first - I needed to bake some cakes.




Then it was time to start icing the cake.  This was a yellow cake with raspberry filling and vanilla buttercream.



I think every super hero needs his face on cake, don't you?




I really liked the book in the original cake, so I decided to stick with that idea.



But then I decided to make a Super Computer as well.






Then it was time to add some finishing details with lots of bright colors.



 Add to that some fondant letters.



Put it all together, and you get a birthday cake fit for any super hero!  Happy birthday, Joshua!  

1 comment:

  1. it was delish!! he/i/we were so happy!!! you are fabulous1

    ReplyDelete